This recipe is filling and easy. It is a great at home lunch (I can’t broil tomatoes at work, I don’t know about you) and it is certainly healthy.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- tomatoes (2 or 3 small or medium, more if you are using cherry tomatoes)
- fresh dill (just a sprinkling)
Oregano-Flavored Olive Oil
- Put approximately 1 tsp of fresh oregano is a mortar and pestle. Add 1/4 tsp sea salt. Smash and grind.
- Gradually work in 2 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (the best you have on hand).
- Work in 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (or a bit more if you like lemon flavoring as much as me).
Avocado and Lentil Salad
- Cook the lentils (1 part lentils to 2 parts water for cooking).
- Toss some olive oil, salt, and pepper on the tomatoes and pop into the broiler (I use the toaster oven broiler for this) on an aluminum foil lined tray. Depending on size, the tomatoes will be ready in 1o – 15 minutes. The skin should start to shrivel and they should be fragrant and juicy.
- Combine 1 cup of cooked lentils with 2 Tbsp of the flavored olive oil, season to taste.
- Chop the tomato and add (juice and all) to the lentils.
- Sprinkle fresh dill over the top (dried is not a good substitute; skip if fresh dill is not available).