I enjoy a hearty, healthy breakfast. Often I opt for steel cut oats with sliced apples and walnuts and many mornings I juice (green, vibrant, full of kale and spinach), but today, a lazy Saturday just after Christmas, I wanted something different. Voila, Super Natural Every Day cookbook and a totally unique, tasty breakfast experience.
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk (I used the low fat kind, but either is fine)
- approximately 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of bulgur wheat (you can also substitute quinoa for bulgur wheat, but add a bit of cooking time)
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted (vary depending on taste)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup toasted, sliced almonds
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the coconut milk and water to a simmer.
- Add the bulgur and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes (time will vary depending on the type of bulgur wheat you have on hand– add more liquid if needed, add more time if needed– it can take up to 2o minutes).
- Meanwhile toast the almonds and sesame seeds. Zest the lemon.
- Stir honey into bulgur, add almonds and sesame seeds, and enjoy.