This was my very first Instant Pot meal (made the day the impressively large box arrived at my home) and only my second attempt at making dried beans. Although it wasn’t amazing, I would definitely call it a success.
Ingredients serves an army as a side
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups dried black beans (no need to soak)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 diced onion
- 3-4 minced cloves garlic
- 9 cups of water
- Place rice, beans, onion, garlic, water, salt, and bay leaf in the Instant Pot insert.
- Set on manual for 28 minutes (be aware that it may take 15 minutes to reach pressure).
- Allow natural steam release, at least for 20 minutes, then you can help it along.
- I went basic (I was feeding a 2 year old) and just threw cheddar cheese on top, but sour cream, a squirt of lime, and sliced avocado would be a great addition. You could certainly use this for a soft taco or similar.