This sweet coconutty breakfast is a new favorite of mine and good for you, too!
Ingredients for one serving
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk (or regular coconut milk)
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of honey (use your judgment, it depends on how sweet you want it)
- slivered almonds, a healthy palmful, toasted
- 1 Tbsp shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- In a small sauce pan, combine the quinoa and coconut milk. Bring a boil, cover, lower heat, and simmer for about 12 minutes (closer to fifteen if you double the recipe). Check occasionally, when nearly all of the liquid has been absorbed, it’s done.
- Meanwhile on a small pan toast the almonds, coconut, and sesame seeds over a low heat, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning and to ensure that everything toasts evenly.
- Add the honey and cinnamon to the cooked quinoa, mix in the toasted ingredients and enjoy.
Why is this healthy?
- Quinoa is a resistant starch which means it stays with you longer and makes you feel fuller. Resistant starches are also good for your colon. Additionally, quinoa is packed with vitamin B, vitamin E, and antioxidants. It is also gluten-free.
- Cinnamon, even less then a teaspoon, improves how your body handles sugar by turning on your insulin receptors.
- Almonds are high in antioxidants, have vitamin E, magnesium, and potassium.
- Coconut flakes are a good source of protein, fiber, iron, and zinc.