Salad recipes seem silly, I realize, because what is a salad, really, if not the tossing together of the items on hand, but this salad is one of my favorites.
Don’t be put off by the initial prep time; it’s worth it– I promise!
Ingredients for the Chicken
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
Directions for the Chicken
- Cut the chicken into 2 inch strips
- Mix all the other ingredients together and put in a zip-close plastic bag.
- Add the chicken, be sure to coat chicken in mixture.
- Squeeze out air and seal bag.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- You have a few options when it comes to cooking the chicken.
- Option 1: Put chicken on wooden skewers. Grill or broil for 3 -4 minutes per side.
- Option 2: Lay out chicken on grill pan and broil for 3 – 4 minutes per side.
Ingredients for Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp blue cheese (soft, crumbly)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Mix together and keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
Ingredients for the Salad (obviously, use your own judgment and what you have on hand)
- Lettuce, chopped (I usually use romaine for this salad, but whatever your green of choice)
- Cucumber, skin on, chopped small
- Pears, chopped (canned will do if you don’t have fresh) or other fruit– strawberry, whatever is in season
- Toasted nuts (pecans are my preference, but walnuts or almonds work well, too)
- Dried cranberries (Craisins)
- Chopped chicken